Wicklow Murrough, was the first station to be built in Wicklow town, when the Dublin & Wicklow Railway opened their line south from Bray in November 1855. In 1861, the DWWR extended the line south to Rathdrum, and ultimately to Wexford. The extension south diverged from the mainline at Wicklow Junction, just prior to the 1855 built terminus station. The original terminus station was subsequently replaced in 1885 when a station was opened on the new alignment just west of the Murrough.
Meanwhile, Wicklow Murrough remained in use for goods and excursion traffic until the late 1970s, as well as handling some suburban trains until 1967. By the late 1980s, the station was derelict and line was disconnected at Wicklow Junction, and was finally lifted by 1988. Today, the D&WR brick station building remains, complete with platform retaining wall and granite supported porch. There were also sidings and tramways which led from the station down to the harbour in Wicklow town. The cabin at Wicklow Jct also remains in situ, out of use since 1927.