Edgeworthstown, or Mostrim as it's sometimes known as in Co.Longford, is located roughly half way on the Midland Great Western Railway's Dublin to Sligo line and today is the only intermediate station open between Mullingar and Longford. The station, laid out to its original double track layout which was singled in 1930, has a typical MGWR 1850s built two storey station building on the up side, footbridge and brick shelter on the down side. Unfortunately the MGWR signal cabin at on the down platform was demolished recently to allow the platforms to be extended. The goods shed has also been removed, the site now occupied by the station car park.
In October 2004, the 071 Class leader, No.071, arrives at Edgeworthstown with an afternoon service from Sligo to Dublin. Behind the train was the site of the former goods shed and yard. Another glimpse of loco 071, built by General Motors in 1976 and entering service with CIE the following year. It is seen preparing to leave Edgeworthstown with its rake of 1970s vintage Mk2 coaching stock. Edgeworthstown was a convenient passing point for the afternoon up & down trains on the Sligo line. Here 071 Class loco No.082 awaits the road to Longford with a service from Dublin. Behind can be seen Edgeworthstown signal cabin. Another meeting scene at Edgeworthstown Station with preserved 141 Class locomotive No.B141 awaiting the road to Longford with the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland's 'Diesel Do' railtour, while 22000 Class railcar No.22244 arrives from Sligo.
071 Class loco No.078 stands at the Dublin end of Edgeworthstown Station with a return Irish Traction Group special from Sligo, formed of the steam heated ex CIE coaches stock. A view looking towards Dublin from the footbridge at Edgeworthstown, with loco 078 waiting the road east to Mullingar, while a 22000 Class railcar approaches with an evening service to Sligo. The steam heated RPSI coaches at Edgeworthstown Station, formed mostly of 1950s Inchicore built CIE stock. This is a similar view to the last at Edgeworthstown but taken in October 2004 showing the then short down platform and Midland Great Western signal cabin still in situ.
A general view of the Midland Great Western's Edgeworthstown Station, looking towards Sligo showing the main station buildings of 1850s MGWR origin. This was taken before the modernisation of the Sligo line had begun. The typical stone built Midland Great Western style signal cabin at Edgeworthstown Station, complete with its large MGWR name board of pre-1925 origin. The cabin was subsequently demolished when mechanical signalling on the Sligo line was replaced by modern Centralised Traffic Control (CTC). A view looking towards Dublin at Edgeworthstown. The two storey station building is typical of the type built on the line, and dates from the line's opening in 1855. An original MGWR bridge number plate on the down platform at Edgeworthstown. The sign has since been removed following the upgrading of the station platforms.
The floral designs on the down platform at Edgeworthstown. In this October 2004 view is the small brick built waiting shelter, which has since been demolished following the upgrading of the station. Edgeworthstown is also commonly referred to as Mostrim, the Irish translation of which is visible on the station name board. The English name of Edgeworthstown refers to the Edgeworth family and estate which was once associated with the town.