Enfield, on the Midland Great Western Railway's Dublin to Sligo line, is one of the passing points on the Sligo line which was partially singled in 1930 by the Great Southern Railway. In 1877, Enfield became the junction for the Edenderry branch, which left the Sligo line just west of the village at Nesbitt Junction. In 1930, the GSR removed the junction there and placed it instead at Enfield Station from where the signal cabin controlled the junction. The Edenderry branch lost its passenger services in 1931 and closed completely in 1963. In that in year, Enfield Station itself was closed, but was reopened in 1988 to serve the new commuter service to Mullingar.
The main Midland Great Western station building at Enfield was demolished after closure in 1963, and thus only the platforms, signal cabin and brick goods shed remain. On the up platform is a water crane while on the down is a stone water tower. Enfield signal cabin closed in 2005 with the CTC signalling upgrading of the line, and the loop is now controlled from the signalling centre in Connolly. The goods shed, and a single siding remain for engineering work. The goods yard once also had a turntable and engines for the Edenderry branch locos.