The small settlement of Edmondstown was the location for one of two intermediate station on the Midland Great Western Railway's built Ballaghaderreen branch in Co. Roscommon, which ran from Kilfree Junction on their Dublin to Sligo line. Opening in November 1874, Edmonstown Station had a single storey station building, complete with an attached waiting room. The station building has been extended since closure of the branch in June 1963, but remains pretty much the same as it was in railway days. The station only had one platform and an adjacent level crossing, there was no loop or sidings.
This is the single storey station building at Edmondstown, located on the former Midland Great Western Railway's Ballaghaderreen branch. The structure has been partially extended, but retains its portruding waiting room, once located on the single platform. Ex MGWR G2 Class 2-4-0 No.653 pauses at Edmondstown Station with a branch train from Kilfree Jct to Ballaghaderreen in 1961. In this view can be seen the single platform, station building and waiting room. ©John Camp The two intermediate stations on the Ballaghaderreen where of this type of construction, single storey building and one platform. A view looking towards Kilfree Jct from the former level crossing at Edmondstown Station. A farm shed has been partially built across the former trackbed. The line closed completely in June 1963.