Enniskillen, county town of Fermanagh, was one of the most important stations on the Great Northern Railway's Irish north west line, which ran from the east at Dundalk, west to Bundoran and Omagh. Unfortunately the extensive INW lines lost their passenger services in 1957 when the Northern Ireland government withdrew their support for such rail services. The rest of the INW closed completely in 1959 because of this, decimating many rural areas. Enniskillen was also once the junction for the 1881 built line to Sligo, which was operated by the Sligo Leitrim & North Counties Railway, who also their offices at Enniskillen Station. Until recently all that remained of the once large station was a stone built storage building, but even this has been demolished. Just south of the town, the SLNCR line crossed the River Erne on the Killyhevlin viaduct to which only the stone piers remain. Recently, to mark the 50th anniversary of the closure of the INW line, streets and roads adjacent to the former station were named in railway terms.