Ennisymon, Co.Clare, is located on the closed narrow gauge West Clare line, which ran from Ennis to Kilrush and Kilkee on the Shannon Estuary. The line opened in stages in 1887 & 1895, but was closed by CIE in February 1961, this being Ireland's last narrow gauge rail line. The station building at Ennistymon remains, but has been heavily extended, particularly onto the site of the former platforms. At the west end of the station however, is the base of the stone built water tower, and just beyond this the railway bridge over the River Cullenagh.
Ennistymon Station, showing the main building and canopy. This view is looking east towards Ennis in the 1950s, note the Great Southern Railway style bilingual name board. ©Limerick City Museum Today this is the much altered station building at Ennistymon, now used as a large B&B. Very little of the original West Clare Railway architecturecan be seen in its structure. In September 1960, CIE F Class loco No.F502 pauses at Ennistymon Station with a service to Ennis. In this view are the up & down platforms and water tower visible in the background. ©Roger Joanes The stone built base of the small water tower at Ennistymon Station still survives, as seen here in the summer of 2002. As can be seen the tower is missing its metal tank.
A view looking towards Kilkee and Kilrush at the west end of Ennistymon Station, showing the overgrown trackbed. The West Clare Railway was finally closed by CIE in February 1961. At the west end of Ennistymon Station the railway line crossed the River Cullenagh on this bridge which still remains in situ despite some 50 years after closure. A close up on one of the metal plate spans on the River Cullenagh bridge at Ennistymon. The bridge still retains its wire guard railings. A view just west of Ennistymon Station, with main N85 road from Ennis on the left, and former rail bridge to the right.
Not a railway photo, but a road direction sign nearby at Ennistymon, which probably dates from the time of the railway, there are very few of these 1950s signs left.