Laytown, Co.Meath, is located on a scenic coastal section of the Dublin to Belfast main line, between Malahide and Drogheda, and was first opened by the Dublin & Drogheda Railway in May 1844. Rebuilt by the Great Northern Railway after 1876, the station acquired its typical GNR wooden station building on the up platform, waiting room on the down platform, signal cabin and footbridge. Today, only the main wooden station building remains, along with the unusual station master house, which is an original D&DR structure. The original cast iron footbridge was also replaced by a modern bridge which lift shafts. At the south end of the station the line crosses the River Nanny.