Lisburn, southwest of Belfast City, is located on ex Great Northern Railway's main Dublin to Belfast line. The station was opened as early as august 1839 when the Ulster Railway constructed their line from here to Belfast City. The UR eventually became the GNR, and the station was gradually developed and expanded by that company, with their yellow brick designed station buildings and canopies. The unusual signal cabin, redundant since 1984, is located on the island platform at the south end of the station. The GNR footbridge at the north end of the station, once covered, also remains, along with the operational water columns. The goods shed was located at the south end of the station, but was demolished in the early 1990s. Lisburn was once the junction for lines to Antrim and Banbridge, which diverged at Knockmore Jct west of the town. The Banbridge line was closed in 1956, while the Antrim branch ceased having any passenger service in 2005.