Leyny Station is located in the small village of Coolaney, Co,Mayo. The station lies on the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway's 1895 built Claremorris to Collooney line, and latterly operated by the Great Southern & Western .The line lost its passenger service in June 1963 and closed completely in 1975, however the rusty track remains in situ to this day. Coolaney has just one platform, with a typical two storey station building and small goods shed. The level crossing at the Claremorris end of the station has been renewed with a fixed picket fence, but still retains its original red X panel.
The disused station at Leyney, looking north towards Collooney showing the single platform and station building. Opened in November 1895, it was closed to passengers in June 1963. The original level crossing gates at Leyney Station have been removed and replaced by this permanent fencing, although the old CIE red X panel remains in situ. The track is still intact between Collooney and Claremorris, having closed in 1975. The side entrance to Leyney Station, showing the pedestrian entrance onto the single platform, which was located on the down side of the line.