Longford Station serves the large same named county town, and was first served by rail in November 1855, when the Midland Great Western Railway extended their line west from Mullingar. It wasn't until December 1862 that the line was extended further west to Sligo. Most of the MGWR station buildings survive at Longford, these include the large two storey stone built station building, original footbridge and now redundant signal cabin, which is located on the up platform. At the Sligo end is the disused goods shed, which was replaced in the 1970s with the freight depot built on the former locomotive sheds on the up side of the station, but this too is now out of use. Also at the Sligo end of the station was a swing bridge which crossed the Royal Canal into the harbour at Longford, which is now long gone.