Loughrea, Co.Galway, was the terminus of a 9-mile long branch from Attymon Jct on the main Dublin to Galway line. The branch line was opened by the Midland Great Western Railway in December 1890, and was one of the last small branch lines to close in Ireland, succumbing in November 1975. The track remained in place until the mid 1980s and was hoped to become a preserved railway by the West of Ireland Steam Railway Association, a company long since disappeared. Sadly the track was lifted when Attymon Jct ceased to be a block post in 1988. The station buildings at Loughrea remain derelict, these consist of the main building with an attached goods shed, the water tower which is now incorporated into an industrial unit, while the roofless engine shed remains abandoned. The small signal cabin that controlled the station is gone, but the lever frame remains intact in the undergrowth.