Liffey Junction is where the Midland Great Western Railway's main line from the Broadstone terminus in northwest Dublin City joined their 1880s built line to the North Wall yards. Broadstone Station was closedto passengers by the Great Southern Railway in January 1937 when western line services were instead diverted over the Liffey Jct to Amiens St line (now Connolly). Meanwhile the Broadstone line remained in use to access the former steam sheds there, but by 1977 the line was disused and was eventually lifted, having only been used simply for oil trains serving the bus depot. Liffey Jct Station, which had closed in 1937, remained a block post until 1991, when the signal cabin, points and sidings associated with the Broadstone line were taken out of use and lifted. Today, only one of the disused platforms survives on the up side of the line. The typical MGWR stone built water tower, which had stood adjacent to the signal cabin, remains in situ.