Tara Street Station, located in Dublin's city centre, is one of Irish Rail's most busiest stations. Known fully as 'Tara Street & George's Quay' station, it was the only one built on the City of Dublin Junction Railway's line, which linked the Dublin & South Eastern Railway's station at Westland Row (Pearse) with the Great Northern Railway's Amiens St Station (Connolly). The construction of this line in May 1891, known commonly as the 'loop line', required the building of the well known lattice bridge across the River Liffey and the construction of lengthy stone and brick viaducts.
Tara Street Station has up & down platforms, and the original station buildings where located at street level, now long since replaced by the modern one. The platforms also once had brick & wooden retaining walls with canopies, but only a section of this survives at the south end of the station. The DSER signal cabin was located on the up platform where a disused shop stand now lies, it had been taken out of use in 1925 by the Great Southern Railway.