Timoleague, west Co.Cork, was a large village first served by rail in December 1890 when the Ballinascarthy & Timoleague Jct Railway constructed a branch line to here from the Cork Bandon & South Coast Railway's Clonakilty branch. In May 1891, the B&TJ's counterpart, the Timoleague & Courtmacsherry Extension Railway, extended the Timoleague branch to reach the small fishing village at Courtmacsherry. Latterly operated by the CBSCR, the branch featured a section of one of Ireland's few standard gauge tramways, running alongside the R601 road between the two villages. Regular passenger services on the branch ceased in 1947, but it remained in use for regular goods, sugar beet and excursion traffic until completely closure of the West Cork lines by CIE in March 1961. Today no trace of Timoleague Station remains, which once consisted of corrugated iron building, water tank and single platform. The station site, located adjacent to Timoleague Abbey, is largely now a car park.