Tivoli is located by the Lee Estuary east of Cork City, where several industrial complexes have been built by Cork Harbour. In 1971, with the introduction of magnesite trains from the Ballinacourty plant near Dungarvan, CIE built a siding which ran into the Tivoli docks area (owned by Cork Harbour Commissioners) to serve a magnesite unloading terminal located by the Cork-Cobh main line. The magnesite traffic ceased in 1982, but three years later CIE reopened the siding and re-aligned it to serve a new container terminal at the docks. This container terminal was opened in 1985, but saw little use in latter years. The siding fell out of use by the late 1990s and newer industries now occupy the site of the container terminal. The magnesite unloading terminal remains however. The siding remains partly in situ though disconnected from the main line. The siding entrance also featured a level crossing controlled protected by only traffic lights. Tivoli Station was located east of the docks area, and was opened by the Cork & Youghal Railway in 1860, but was closed in November 1931.