The large Co.Meath town of Trim was first served by rail when the Midland Great Western Railway built a branch line off their already existing Clonsilla to Navan line at Kilmessan Junction in April 1864. Trim was the intermediate station on this branch which terminated at Athboy. The station at Trim was located on the north side of the town and consisted of two platforms, wooden station buildings, a signal cabin, and a large stone & brick built goods shed. Regular passenger and goods services over the Athboy branch ceased in 1947, along with services from Clonsilla to Navan. The branch however remained in use for occasional GAA and cattle specials until 1954, after which the line was lifted. Today only the large goods shed at Trim remains, along with the scant remains of one of the former station platforms, the rest have of the station buildings have long since been demolished. East of Trim the line crossed the River Boyne on a stone built viaduct, now demolished.