Tralee, Co.Kerry, was first served by rail when the GSWR extended their 1852 built line from Mallow to Killarney to here in July 1859. The Waterford & Limerick Railway then extended the line west of Tralee to places in north Co.Kerry such as Listowel and Newcastle West and eventually to Limerick, this becoming known as the 'North Kerry Line' route. Passenger services from Tralee to Limerick ceased in 1963, but the line remained in use for goods until 1977, it was eventually lifted in 1988. Tralee was also a starting point for trains to Fenit, which ran parallel to the North Kerry line for a 1½ miles outside Tralee before diverging south west to the fishing village. The Fenit branch remained in situ and in 1987 the Great Southern Railway Preservation Society planned to reopen the Fenit branch as a heritage railway. Sadly their plans never came about and the Fenit branch is now derelict with the section west of Tralee now disconnected from the mainline.
Tralee Station itself was modernised in the 1970s, but the Victorian era GSWR stone built station buildings and wooden train shed and now redundant signal cabin remain. The large goods shed also survives, the freight yard however was taken out of use in 2004.