The well known county town of Tipperary is located on the cross country Limerick to Waterford line. The line from Limerick to Waterford was opened in May 1848 by the Waterford & Limerick railway, eventually becoming operated by the Great Southern & Western Railway in 1901. Over the years the line from Limerick to Waterford has had a sparse service, but improvements have been made in recent years with the introduction of diesel railcars. Tipperary Station only has one platform which remains in use, that being on the down side where the large two storey station building and brick built signal cabin are located. On the up side is a short platform, not regularly used, behind which is the large derelict goods shed and yard. The level crossing gates were once operated by a wheel located within the signal cabin, but now replaced by electric motors. Adjacent to the station level crossing is a Victorian GSWR footbridge. The rationalised station layout now only consists of a passing loop and siding, which is used for engineering trains.