The large Co.Meath town of Trim was first served by rail when the Midland Great Western Railway built a branch line off their already existing Clonsilla to Navan line at Kilmessan Junction in April 1864. Trim was the intermediate station on this branch which terminated at Athboy. The station at Trim was located on the north side of the town and consisted of two platforms, wooden station buildings, a signal cabin, and a large stone & brick built goods shed. Regular passenger and goods services over the Athboy branch ceased in 1947, along with services from Clonsilla to Navan. The branch however remained in use for occasional GAA and cattle specials until 1954, after which the line was lifted. Today only the large goods shed at Trim remains, along with the scant remains of one of the former station platforms, the rest have of the station buildings have long since been demolished. East of Trim the line crossed the River Boyne on a stone built viaduct, now demolished.
This is the site of Trim railway station, looking west towards Athboy from what was the east end of the station. Originally there was a road overbridge here, demolished in early 1990s. ©David Boyne This is the west end of Trim Station, again looking towards Athboy. Just visible to the right is the stone edging of one of the former platforms. The large stone & brick built structure was the goods shed. ©David Boyne Another view of this former platform at Trim Station, partially buried by soil. This, and the goods shed, are the only remains of the station today. ©David Boyne A close up view of the platform edging at Trim. The station had two platforms, with wooden station buildings, large goods shed and signal cabin. ©David Boyne
A view looking east towards Kilmessan from the west end of the site of Trim Station. The platform can just be seen in the foreground. ©David Boyne The large stone and brick built goods shed at the west end of Trim Station. This structure is similar to the large shed that is still extant at Killucan Station on the Sligo line. ©David Boyne This is the rear view of the large goods shed at Trim, the only station building still standing. The hay bales are lying on the former trackbed. ©David Boyne e former goods shed at Trim is now been used as a hay store for a local farmer. ©David Boyne
A view of what was once Trim Station's goods yard. Other than the goods shed there is little to suggest that a large station once existed here. ©David Boyne A view along the R161 road to Navan just east of Trim town. The raised piece of land on the left was once part of the railway embankment which crossed the road here. ©David Boyne East of Trim are the remains of the stone built viaduct across the River Boyne. Today only a couple of the piers remain, visible on the left and within the river. This is the base of one of the piers belonging to the now demolished viaduct spanning the River Boyne east of Trim. This view is looking west towards Athboy.
Part of the former viaduct east of Trim spanned an adjacent roadway, which ran parallel to the River Boyne. The road passed between these two stone piers. The road was re-aligned after closure of the railway in 1954.