Tubber Station serves only a sparsely populated area in south Co.Galway. Tubber is located on the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway's Limerick to Athenry line, and was opened one year after the line in May 1870. The station, which closed in June 1963, only had one platform, and an untypical station building for this section of the line, larger than most. There was once a goods loop on the up side of the line also. The former station yard is now used as a ballast loading point for permanent way trains. The Limerick to Athenry line, having been largely disused since the late 1990s, was fully reopened in March 2010.