Sallins, Co.Kildare, is located on the main Great Southern & Western Railway's 1840s built line from Dublin to Cork. Sallins was also once the junction for the 34 mile branchline to Tullow, which opened in stages in 1885 and 1886. The long branch was never heavily used and was closed to regular passenger and goods traffic in 1947. The line to Tullow remained open however for occasional cattle specials before finally closing completely in April 1959. The branch diverged just south of the station beyond the road overbridge, and the GSWR built a large engine shed and loco facilities on the down side adjacent to the junction. A stub of the branch remained until 1973 for the storage of redundant wagons.
Sallins Station itself was closed in 1947, but reopened in 1994 as 'Sallins & Naas' station, Naas had previously been served on the closed Tullow branch. The station retains much of its original buildings, such as its brick built station building, water tower and derelict goods shed, although both the original signal cabins, 'North' & 'South' were demolished in the 1980s following CTC signalling introduction in the late 1970s. The old station footbridge steps were incorporated into the 1994 built modern one.