Straffan Station, Co.Kildare, was located some distance from the small village it served. It was located on the Great Southern & Western Railway's main Dublin to Cork line, and had opened two years after the line in August 1848. The station, which had up and down platforms, with small station building on the up side, was closed by CIE in November 1947, but it remained a signalling block post. The signal cabin at Straffan was closed however in 1976, and after which the redundant station buildings became derelict before finally been demolished in the mid 1980s. Today, there is little trace of the station buildings left at Straffan, but the original GSWR style gate entrance from the road remains in situ.