Sandymount, in Dublin's southern suburbs, was one of the original stations to be opened with the Dublin & Kingstown 1834 built railway line from Westland Row to Kingstown, now Dun Laoghaire. The station has been closed numerous times in its life, particularly in the later half of the 19th century. It's proper closure came in 1960, but the station was reopened once again in 1984 with the introduction of the electrified DART services between Bray and Howth. The Dublin Wicklow & Wexford Railway built a signal cabin adjacent to the station level crossing in 1871, but this was replaced by a modern Great Southern Railway cabin with the introduction of semi automatic colour light signals in 1937.
The original station buildings were demolished in 1901 when the station closed first in the 20th century, but was reopened in 1928. Some recovered former Cork narrow gauge station buildings were installed at the station at the same time. These lasted until closure again in 1960. When the station reopened in 1984, a new standard DART station building was built on the down platform, the 1937 built signal cabin was demolished however at the same time.