In June 1901, the Great Northern Railway opened their electric Hill of Howth tramway. This ran from Sutton Station, around Howth Head to the fishing town of Howth. It was largely a roadside tramway, but had its own reservation on the roadway, and in some sections ran on its own formation like a conventional railway line. The highest point on the Hill of Howth tram line was the Summit, known as the 'Hill of Howth' stop, which featured a small village centred around the Summit Inn pub and a local shop, located on what was the main road.
There also a passing loop, GNR style wooden waiting shelter and a one time siding at the Summit, but the latter was lifted by 1940. Adjacent to the tram stop was a parcels office, located in a typical GNR style station building, built largely of red brick than the usual yellow; this building remains as a private residence. The trackbed of the tram line through the Summit is now the main R106 road, built on the tracked of the tram line after its closure by CIE in 1959. The trackbed however at the north end of the Summit is now a public walkway.