Sandyford, located in Dublin's southern suburbs adjacent to the Stillorgan area was until 2010 the terminus of the Green Luas line from St.Stephens Green in the city centre, built largely on the former Harcourt St to Bray railway line, opened by the Dublin & Wicklow Railway between 1854 and 1859, and closed by CIE in December 1958. The Luas stop at Sandyford is built on the original railway alignment just north of the original Stillorgan Station. In October 2010, the section of former rail line towards Bray was reopened as part of the Green Line extension to Brides Glen, however a section of the tram line deviates away from the former alignment between Sandyford and Carrickmines, the trackbed having been built upon at Foxrock since closure. At the south end of Sandyford Luas stop, which is has three platforms, the line to Bray diverges to the west just short of the extensive tram depot, opened with the original Luas line from Stephens Green in 2004.
Citadis built tram No.4003 is seen on the rear of a northbound Luas preparing to form a service back into Dublin City centre. The lines diverging in the foreground form part of the new extended line towards Brides Glen. Luas trams Nos.4010 & 4014, stand at the south end of the Sandyford stop, during rebuilding of the station in preporation for the extension towards Brides Glen. Luas trams terminating at Sandyford move into the headshunt just short of the tram depot, before driving into northbound platform at Sandyford to form a service to St.Stephens Green. With the tram depot in the background, No.4010 crosses over on the up line at the south end of Sandyfor prior to forming a return service to Dublin City centre.
| A general view of the extensive sidings at the north end of the Sandyford Luas depot, built in 2003. The track in the foreground is on the original 1850s railway alignment. A view looking north towards Dublin City from the tram depot at Sandyford, with the adjacent Luas stop visible. During the 1950s the railway line along here was paralleled by farm fields. The Stillogan reservoir is out of view to the right. The then new junction established at the south end of Sandyford Luas stop, with the lines on the left serving the depot, with those to Brides Glen (since opened) diverging to the right. A view of the Luas line to Brides Glen at Sandyford, then under construction with the overhead wires yet to be installed. Due to housing having built on the original Harcourt St to Bray railway line at Foxrock, this deviation is necessary.
This small single storey brick building, associated with the adjacent reservoir at Sandyford, has been a feature on this section of line for many years, even in railway days.