Swinford, Co.Mayo, was one of the larger towns to be served by the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway's built line from Claremorris to Collooney and Sligo, which opened in October 1895 to relieve poverty in this sparsely populated area. The 'Burma Rd' as its known, lost its passenger service in June 1963, but remained in use for goods until November 1975. Since closure the line has remained in situ, though abandoned. The route is part of the Western Rail Corridor scheme, but whether it will reopen in the future remains uncertain.
Swinford Station itself consists of up & down platforms, with main station building on the down side, and waiting shelter, water tower and brick built signal cabin on the up side. The large goods shed, complete with wooden canopy, and overgrown goods platform survives. Point rodding, signal posts and even one or two shunt signals also remain on site.