In 1862, Midland Great Western Railway built a short branch to serve the quayside at Sligo, which diverged from from their main line on the approach to Sligo Station itself, which had opened in December of that year. There was a large goods shed and yard located on the quay line, used by both the MGWR and after 1881 the Sligo Leitrim & Northern Counties Railway, who ran services from Sligo to Enniskillen until 1957. A tramway once also extended from the goods yard down the quayside to serve a number of private yards, this section of quayside line was lifted however in the late 1990s. The goods yard at Sligo Quay was modernised in the mid 1970s by CIE, with the installation of a new container crane. In later years container, oil and timber traffic were the main users. Unfortunately with the decline of freight on Irish Rail, no railfreight trains currently serve the terminal.