Geashill, Co.Offaly, on the Portlarlington to Athlone line served a sparsely populated area, however the station remained open until June 1963. In the early 1970s, Galway and western line services were re-routed via the Portarlington line and with the increased services a new loop was installed at Geashill Station, which is now used regularly for crossing trains, particularly for freight. The Great Southern & Western Railway station building at Geashill, dating from opening in October 1854, has an unique character and is excellently maintained, complete with original doors and windows panes. Although platforms were demolished, the wooden waiting shelter was preserved in the station's garden. Adjacent to the station is the former goods shed and a small stone railway cottage.
This is Geashill Station, with 201 Class loco No.225 passing with a service from Dublin to the west of Ireland. Although the station is closed, the loop remains for crossing trains. 22000 Class railcar No.22321 arrives into the loop at Geashill Station a service for Dublin, seen crossing a Galway bound train from which this photo is taken. The stone built Great Southern & Western station building is located on the up side of the line at Geashill. The station's up & down platforms were demolished some years ago. This view is looking west towards Athlone. Close up of the GSWR architecture at Geashill Station, showing the narrow windows with their orignal frames. The station, which dates from 1854, is now a private residence.
A view looking east towards Dublin from the remains of the up platform at Geashill Station. The down platform was once located to the right of the photo. The aerial visible in the background is for the modern CTC signalling. Some of the original features still survive at Geashill Station, such as the wooden doors complete with  'Ladies First Class' wording. This is the wooden waiting shelter at Geashill Station, which was once located on the now demolished down platform. The former station master securred its preservation for the garden seen here. The stone built goods shed at Geashill, located on the up side at the south end of the station. Sugar beet traffic was handled here until the early 1980s, but today no sidings remain in the yard.
The roadside view of Geashill goods yard, with the shed on the right complete with original sliding doors. The yard was made redundant in 1982. A typical 1850s built GSWR railwaymans cottage at the south end of Geashill Station, which presumebly accomodated the former station porter.