Gortatlea Station, Co.Kerry, on the 1859 built line from Killarney to Tralee, was the junction for the short 1875 built line to Castleisland. The branch lost its passenger and goods service in 1947, but the goods traffic recommenced in 1957 and continued right up until January 1977. The branch line remained derelict for just over 10 years, been lifted in 1988. Gortatlea Junction station itself closed in September 1963. It once had both up and down platforms, with a bay for the branch trains. Today, only the down platform remains, adjacent to the station masters house. All other buildings, which included the signal cabin and goods shed on the up side were demolished. A mound of earth and ballast has been dumped on the junction site at the east end of the station.