Greystones, Co.Wicklow, was first served by rail as early as November 1855, when the Dublin & Wicklow Railway opened their 'Wicklow Extension' south from Bray. The station once had goods facilities at the north end of the up platform, while on the down side behind the platform was yard and turntable. The goods yard closed in the mid 1970s, but the down yard retains two sidings for stabling DART units. The station building at Greystones is unusually located on the main street of the seaside village and is a two storey building, larger than the usual ones found at other Dublin Wicklow & Wexford Railway stations. On the down platform is the 1926 built Great Southern Railway signal cabin, which replaced an earlier DW&R wooden one. When the DART services began in 1984, a shuttle ran from Greystones to Bray to connect with the electrified services, but this was withdrawn in 1991. However, in 2000, an extension of the wires south around Bray Head brought Greystones into the electrified DART commuter service, which also brought about upgrading of the station facilities and the signalling.