Gort, Co.Galway, is located on the Waterford Limerick & Western Railway's line from Limerick to Sligo, the first section of which opened in September 1869, and was latterly taken over by the Great Southern & Western Railway in 1901. Passenger services on the line from Limerick via Gort through to Athenry and Claremorris ended in April 1976, although the line remained in use for freight and excursion traffic up to the late 1990s. However in March 2010, passenger services were restored on the Limerick to Galway line via Athenry and the station at Gort was rebuilt The original stone built station of 1869 is located just south of the new up & down platforms. The goods shed as well as the former water tower complete with tank has also been preserved. The only structure not to remain was the GSWR built signal cabin, demolished to make way for the up platform, which is now connected to the down side by a modern footbridge.