Gilford Road, Sandymount, in Dublin City's southern suburbs, was the location for one of the tram depots which served the Dublin United Tramways company. The tram route from Sandymount to Nelson's Pillar in the city centre was first opened by the Dublin Central Tramway company in 1872. Originally horse powered, the tram line was converted to electric cars along with the majority of tram lines in Dublin in 1901. The Gillford Road depot was expanded to include larger tram sheds and accommodation for workers, which were built in 1894. The DUTC closed the Sandymount tram route in 1940. Surprisingly the rails entering the depot at Gilford Rd remains, as does the former depot buildings and houses.