Glasnevin Junction, located in north Dublin City on the Dublin to Maynooth and Sligo line. It is here that the Great Southern & Western Railways's line from Amiens St (Connolly) via Drumcondra and the former Midland Great Western Railway's line from North Wall (Docklands) converge. The Amiens St line was opened in 1906 as a through route from Islandbridge (Heuston), while the MGWR line from North Wall to Sligo opened earlier in the 1880s. A junction between these two lines was made at Glasnevin, originally reversed to that of the present state which had allowed the GSWR access to the North Wall line. In 1936, with the re-routing of Sligo & Galway services to Amiens St, the junction was remodelled to allow these trains to traverse the GSWR line via Drumcondra across the former MGWR line to Sligo, confusing?!
These pictures were taken during/after the relaying of the former MGWR North Wall line in connected with the opening of the new Docklands Station to which such some Maynooth and Dunboyne services operate to now. The GSWR line from Islandbridge is still used only for freight and empty stock movements.