Goold's Cross, north Co.Tipperary, is located on the Great Southern & Western Railway's main Dublin to Cork line between Limerick Jct and Thurles. Goold's Cross was once the junction for the short branch line to the well known town of Cashel, which diverged just south of the station. The branch to Cashel was opened in 1901, but lost its goods & passenger services in 1947, but remained open for a monthly cattle train until September 1953. Up to 1986, Goold's Cross station remained much intact, but with the closure of the signal cabin in that year and the rationalisation of the mechanical signalling, the down platform along with associated crossovers and sidings were all removed. Today, the station building dating from October 1849, and the up platform remain complete with waiting shelter remains. The dismantled GSWR footbridge is dumped in the former goods yard.