Malahide, North Co.Dublin, is located on the Dublin to Belfast main line, which had opened as far as Drogheda in May 1844 by the Dublin & Drogheda Railway. The present station at Malahide was built entirely by the Great Northern Railway after 1876, who constructed a typical yellow brick station building on the down platform, designed by W.H Mills, as well as the footbridge and signal cabin on the up platform. There's also the typical GNR style station masters house adjacent to the car park. All of these are well maintained and the station building retains its original canopy. In 2000, Malahide became the second northern terminus of Dublin's electrified DART service, and located at the south end of the station are two stabling sidings for these trains. The signal cabin was taken out of use in the late 1990s. North of Malahide the railway line crosses the large Broadmeadow Estuary on a causeway and viaduct, constructed from stone abstracted from the old quarry south of the station site.