Maynooth, Co.Kildare, well known for its university, was first served by rail when the Midland Great Western Railway opened their main line from Broadstone, Dublin, to here in June 1848, with passengers having to transfer to the Royal Canal to Mullingar until the extension to that town was opened later in November. Surprisingly for such a large town, Maynooth Station was actually closed in 1947, but remained a block post retaining its signal cabin and passing loop. These were taken out of use in the late 1970s, but were reinstated shortly afterwards in 1981 when the new commuter service to Maynooth began running. The reopening of the station resulted in the demolition of the original single storey MGWR station building, but the MGWR signal cabin, platforms and station masters house remained.
In 2000, the single line section from Maynooth to Clonsilla was re-doubled having been singled by the Great Southern Railway in 1931. This also brought about upgrading of the signalling, but the signal cabin remained the CTC fringe cabin until it was extended all the way to Sligo in 2005. Maynooth Station also gained a new modern booking office, complete with a glass edifice, along with platform extensions.