The large Co.Cork town of Midleton was first served by rail as early as 1859, when the Cork & Railway opened their line between Cork City and Midleton. The C&RY then extended the line east from Midleton to the seaside of town of Youghal in 1860. By 1866, the Great Southern & Western had taken over the C&RY. Regular passenger services over the Cobh Junction to Youghal line ceased in 1963, but remained in use of occasional Sunday excursions until the late 1970s. By the early 1980s goods services had ceased completely, after which only infrequent passenger specials ran to Youghal, the last being to Midleton in 1988. The Youghal line lay derelict for 21 years until 2009, when the line reopened as far as Midleton. Midleton Station has up & down terminal platforms, with the 1860s built single storey brick station building located on the up side, along with the GSWR built signal cabin, beyond which was the former goods yard. On the down side was the site of the original C&YR works, now a carpark. A modern footbridge is located at the western end of the station. The western approach to the station is marked by the level crossing on the R626 road. Currently no immediate plans exist to reopen the rest of the line to Youghal, this section remaining derelict.