Mohill, Co.Leitrim, was the only important intermediate station on the November 1888 built Cavan & Leitrim narrow gauge line, which ran from Dromod north to Ballinamore. Mohill Station remains largely intact despite having closed as long ago as April 1959. The large typical C&L brick station building, complete with original booking office doors survives intact, albeit derelict. On the up platform the corrugated iron waiting shelter also remains. At the north end of the station is the C&L small stone built goods shed. The site of the level crossing at the north end of the station has been obliterated by road widening.
The typical large Cavan & Leitrim station building at Mohill, built of red brick. The station has not seen a passenger in April 1959. Mohill Station, as viewed from the up platform looking north towards Ballinamore. Mohill was a regular passing place for the up & down trains from Dromod and Ballinamore. The Great Northern Railway had similarly designed doors like these for their booking offices. It's surprising that Mohill Station has remained intact, having closed in 1959. Inside the booking office at Mohill Station, complete with ticket counter. It has not seen a regular passenger since 1959.
Strangely the road side of Mohill Station is entirely overgrown, as seen from the forecourt. The building dates from the opening of the line in November 1887. The small corrugated iron waiting shelter on the up platform at Mohill Station, also remains remarkably intact. The trackbed on the southern approaches to Mohill Station, looking south to Dromod. The 'new' C&L railway has been proposed to reopen this section from here to their base at Dromod, though nowadays this seems unlikely to happen. The typical C&L small stone built goods shed, located on the north side of Mohill Station, complete with canopy.
The small level crossing at the north end of Mohill Station has been totally abliterated by road widening, and the garage seen here has been extended much since railway days. The former line contined straight ahead between the cream coloured house on the left and the garage on the right, the latter has since been demolished and replaced by a Centra store.