Mullinavat Station, which serves a small village in Co.Kilkenny on the main Dublin to Waterford line, was opened by the Great Southern & Western Railway in May 1853. The station, which had up and down platforms, was closed in January 1963, but remained a block post until 1985, retaining its signal cabin, loop and sidings. Today, only the up platform remains, on which the now disused single storey stone built station stands. The original gated level crossing at the north end of the station was eventually replaced by automatic lights and barriers.