Mountmellick, Co.Laoise, was the terminus of a very short branch line, 7 1/2 miles, which ran north from the town of Portlaoise. The Waterford & Kilkenny Railway had built this line to Mountmellick in March 1885, and had envisaged that the line would be extended further north to join the Great Southern & Western's line from Portarlington to Athlone. This was never built and thus the branch line was merely a dead end from Portlaoise. Trains had to reverse out to join the south facing branch line at Portlaoise at Conniberry Jct. Passenger and goods services ceased in 1947, but the line remained open for sugar beet and specials until January 1963. The concrete built single storey station building and goods shed were constructed by the GSWR. The adjacent station masters house also remains.