Monkstown, Co.Cork, located on the west side of Cork harbour, was an important station on the narrow gauge Cork Blackrock & Passage Railway line, which ran from Cork City south to Crosshaven. The section from Crosshaven through to Passage East was single track, but beyond Passage it was double track all the way to Cork City, the only double track 3ft narrow gauge line in Ireland. The Great Southern Railway took over the CB&PR in 1925, by which time the line was under competition from buses, resulting in the closure of the railway line in September 1932. Remarkably, the face of the island platform at Monkstown Station survives, along with the base of the former water tower. At the south end of the village the line passes beneath the main road in a short tunnel.