Millstreet, Co.Cork, on the scenic Mallow to Tralee line, was opened to Killarney in July 1853, and to Tralee in 1859 by the Great Southern & Western Railway. Millstreet Station had an unusual layout with the main station building on the down platform, while the up platform was substantially narrower and could not accommodate any buildings; it was also effectively an island platform with the goods siding serving the goods shed on its up side. Also on the up side adjacent to the level crossing was the signal cabin, which later operated as a gate box when the loop was reduced to a siding.
The station was partially upgraded in 1993 for the Eurovision Song Contest, but it wasn't until CTC upgrading in 2005 that the down platform was lengthened and the loop reinstated, which resulted in the demolition of the narrow up platform, goods shed and signal cabin. The level crossing was also automated and is now controlled from Dublin's Connolly signalling centre.