The large town of Abbeyleix in Co.Laois was served by rail on the Great Southern & Western Railway's Portlaoise to Kilkenny line, opened in 1868. The line however ran parallel to the GSWR's other more populated line to Kilkenny and Waterford which ran via Carlow. The line between Kilkenny and Portlaoise via Abbeyleix finally succumbed to closure in January 1963.
The stone built station building at Abbeyleix still survives, now a private residence, as well as the former up & down platforms, though they have covered over. A small GSWR wooden waiting shelter also survives on the up side of the station. At the south end of the station the former goods yard and shed have been taken over by an industrial complex.