Ardgillan, located by the coast in north Co.Dublin between the large towns of Skerries and Balbriggan on the main Dublin to Belfast line, is well known for the location of its nearby castle demesne, established in 1738 by Robert Taylor, whose family occupied the 18th century house until 1962. The Dublin & Drogheda Railway built a small halt by request from the Taylor Family in 1844, whose land was paralleled by the nearby railway line. The halt consisted of short wooden platforms and a small brick hut, located by the level crossing giving access to the demesne from what is now the parallel R127. The Taylor family would notify Balbriggan railway station to arrange a train to stop at the halt at their request.
By the turn of the century the halt had been removed, although the brick hut survived until the late 1980s. The adjacent level crossing at the halt site was removed in the mid 1990s, although the former gate entrance remains on the road side of the railway line. Ardgillan Castle itself is now open to the public. South of the former halt is Lady's Stairs footbridge which gives pedestrian access to the demesne from the R127 road.