The small village of Attanagh in Co.Laois was served by rail on the Great Southern & Western Railway's Portlaoise to Kilkenny line, opened in 1868. The line however ran parallel to the GSWR's other more populated line to Kilkenny and Waterford which ran via Carlow. The line between Kilkenny and Portlaoise via Abbeyleix finally succumbed to closure in January 1963. Attanagh was largely just a small halt, consisting of one single platform and a siding serving the concrete GSWR built goods shed, the latter is the only structure to remain today. A couple of the granite level crossing gate posts also remain in situ beside the former station.