Ashtown in the western suburban area of Dublin on Midland Great Western Railway's line to Sligo had a station principally opened for racecourse traffic in 1903, and had both up and down platforms. The station, along with the adjacent signal cabin was closed by CIE in 1963, however it reopened briefly when trains served the nearby Phoenix Park during the Papal visit in 1979.The station reopened fully in 1982 when a commuter services was reinstated to Maynooth. The MGWR signal cabin once stood on the up side of the line beside the level crossing, which is still manually operated today. Beyond the station level crossing on the down side was a siding serving Todd's Mill, dating from 1882 and lifted in the early 1960s. The station once featured a Victorian footbridge of Great Southern & Western origin, since replaced by a modern type.