Attymon Station, Co.Galway, is a shadow of its former self, now reduced to just one single platform. Previously though Attymon boasted a loop, turntable, sidings and was the junction for the 1890 built Loughrea branch. The Loughrea branch was 9 miles long and closed completely in 1975. The track remained in place until the mid 1980s and was hoped to become a preserved railway by the West of Ireland Steam Railway Association, a company long since disappeared. Sadly the track was lifted and Attymon ceased to be a block post in 1988. The footbridge and cabin was demolished in 1989 and the station building, which still stands is now boarded up. The Loughrea and up platforms, water tower, turntable and goods shed are derelict.
The down platform however has been renewed following CTC upgrading on the Galway line, and a new access road has been constructed on the former Loughrea branch at the station. Also shown are two level crossings south of Attymon at Killimor and Raford on the closed branch line.