Ardee, Co.Louth, was the terminus of a short branch which diverged from the main Dublin to Belfast line at Dromin Junction. The branch was opened by the Great Northern Railway in 1896, but lost its passenger service as early as 1934, but remained in use for goods traffic until 1975. The tracks were finally lifted in the late 1980s. Despite closing in 1934, the station building at Ardee remains remarkably intact, complete with wooden canopy and train shed. It is a typical GNR terminus building, designed by W.H Mills and featured his yellow brick built construction. Behind the station can be found the roofless engine shed, and opposite the station is the typical GNR station masters house. Part of the site is still owned by Irish Rail.