Antrim, county town of the same name in Northern Ireland, is located on the main Belfast to Derry line, constructed by the Belfast & Northern Counties Railways. Antrim Station opened in 1848, and became a junction for the Great Northern branch line to Lisburn in 1871. The Lisburn to Antrim branch closed in 1961, but reopened in 1974 by NIR, and recently lost its passenger service again in 2005. The branch line remains in use for empty stock and diversion trains. The BNCR station buildings, designed by Berkeley Dean Wise, all remain in fine order at Antrim. The NCC built signal cabin at the south end of the station was demolished in the mid 1980s and replaced by a newer structure adjacent to the level crossing at the north end of the station.