Kanturk, Co.Cork, was the only intermediate station on the 1889 constructed Newmarket branch which left the main Tralee line at Banteer. The Great Southern & Western Railway built branch lost its passenger and goods services in January 1947. However goods traffic recommenced in 1956 with newer motive power acquired, this been CIE's 4-wheel G Class Deutz diesel locos, which proved successful. However despite healthy goods traffic CIE closed the branch completely in February 1963. The single storey station building, water tower, and station masters house at Kanturk remain, although the signal cabin and goods shed are long gone. The station buildings however are semi derelict, with the main one been used as a storage area for an adjacent bakery. The level crossing posts at the north end of the station also survive, along with others on the former branch. The station only had one platform, loop and siding.